Monday 5 September 2011

A mountain to climb


If a long inactive RSS feed has just pinged to life it’s not a fake, I’m actually going to start writing this thing again.

The reasons for reactivating the blog are many and complex. I dropped it primarily because there was just too much work. For the last three years I’ve been doing four stories a day, and around 3,000 words of Top 10 lists on Fridays. It’s work I love and do gladly, but it takes time. Coming home and writing up the day became less important, and there was a city and its people to explore.

That said, looking back over past posts, my interest in the blog declined rapidly after getting into a relationship. I didn’t write about it initially, because it’s a private matter. I may be a full disclosure person in much of life but some things are not for discussion without consent. That’s not in any way to blame M, but let’s be honest – faced with the choice of hammering a keyboard or snuggling up on a sofa which would you choose?

Why then is it restarting? Well, the primary driver was the so-called Hurricane Irene. A good friend, and former editor of the year (she knows who she is) has been prodding me to get this done. Certain relatives too have complained at being out of touch. But there was also the slightly annoying feeling of knowing something would make a good blog, and not doing it was grating.

So, it's time to get this thing back online. Two years of backdated stuff to fill in and I’ve got the digital equivalent of a handful of Post-it notes to work from, so there will be huge gaps. Thankfully the last month has given me some time to get back into the swing of things, so this first batch will be 5,000 words - enough to be going along with.

Backdated posts will be added later headed BP, but there’s a lot of notes to write up, spread over four current and ex-computers and a bag full of USB sticks. I’ll post updates on those periodically as time allows, and when I find them.

The full story of the last couple of years involves a death, a marriage, two new jobs and a life turned upside down. Think of it as the Archer’s 60th anniversary edition, without an agricultural story editor.

No comments: