Saturday 10 September 2011

Luxury


If you’re wondering why I’m exceeding my two stories a week target it’s because I’m flying, and there’s very little to do on an aircraft for a couple of hours. I decided to treat myself to an upgrade on the flight back - $39 gets you a nice seat, much more leg room, free food and drink and an exit row position – so in the event of a crash you get out first.

In the latter case I know enough about aircraft to realize it’s going to be of very little help in the event oof disaster. Modern planes are incredibly hardy and seldom suffer major failure, and slide evacuation is seldom more than a fast way of clearing a lightly damaged plane. Useful in the Hudson crash however. If you do have a massive loss of cabin pressure or a reduction in the number of wings you’re screwed anyway, so no sense in worrying about it.

However I wanted the luxury as my back is killing me and I need some pampering. I’m so looking forward to getting back to home and M, and a long lie in in our own bed. It’s been a grueling week, and next week is going to be even worse. A trip to Los Angeles, my second least favourite city in the US, is on the cards and I suspect that while there will be some fun times it’s going to be a tough one.

No comments: