Wednesday 11 June 2008

Tales of the City


I’ve know I have a book addiction (if it comes to it I'll be the bloke with a sign 'Will work for book tokens'), and leaving them all behind is going to be bad for me in the short term, but good in the long run. The temptation to bury oneself in a book can be strong and lead you to ignore other things, like people or impending deadlines.

But in the spirit of the move I’m reading Armistead Maupin’s first three books of 'Tales of the City', and am sorely impressed. He’s a brilliantly skilled writer, with short, finely crafted stories that benefit from their original form as newspaper serialisations. There's also usually an 'Oh fuck' moment at the end of them as well.

Yes, the San Francisco he described probably doesn’t exist any more; herpes, AIDS and the War on Drugs have seen to that, but the images of some parts of city life are timeless. Candice Bushell’s Sex and the City book owes a lot to Maupin but was a very pale imitation, and the TV series looks like Tales for the City for the educationally challenged.

Fiction it may be, but I’m already a little bit in love with Mona and hope to find an Anna Madrigal of my own to stay with.

1 comment:

Ballardidar said...

I love the series too, I think I read it for the first time when I was just 15, and have reread it time and time again over the last 13 (argh!) years. It made me want to live in San Fran, which incidently made me read your blog! It does remind me a little of Candace Bushnell, in that I feel likeI know the characters like friends. Hope you enjoy all 6 books, and afterwards read 'Michael Tolliver Lives' which maupin released last year- it's Michael's story 30 or so years later.