Monday 16 June 2008

Day One


Woke up to the sound of an American police siren and mused on the fact that this was it: I’m really here now and will sink or swim based solely on my own efforts.

Since it was very early to go out I unpacked. I should have done it last night but was too tired. I’ve bought way too many t-shirts, so some will have to go, and somehow the Sock God, the one who steals odd socks from the washer, had gifted me with a couple of spares that had no partner, so into the bin they went.

Thankfully my three jars of Marmite and tea bags had made it through intact, I was a bit worried all my clothes would be covered in black goo and I’d have to lick them clean :)

I was still a bit stiff (must get a gym membership) from manhanding the luggage so put on a birthday present CD, ‘Burning’ by Whitest Boy Alive. Norwegian electro-folk might seem an odd choice but it’s a bouncy little track that was enough to get me dancing while I worked.

Then it was off for a morning stroll to get my bearings. It was a chilly day as the fog hadn’t burnt off yet, so went to see Union Square again and then up the hill to Pacific Heights and down back through the Tenderloin.

By this time the stomach was sending signals that it wanted to be fed so stopped off at Dotties for brunch. My former San Francisco landlady took me there when I was staying with her in November and I’ve been dreaming of their home fries ever since. The food is great, as shown by the queue that is so long it can take an hour before you get a seat.

As it was they had an opening for a singleton so I got in quickly and laid in with gusto to a bacon and mushroom omelette with home fries and toast. They even have good quality tea there, although there’s a subtle discrimination. If you’re a coffee drinker you get free refills but tea drinkers just get more hot water and there’s a limit to the number of good brews you can get from a single bag.

Fully replete I waddled down the hill back towards Civic Centre. The office has a number of downsides but a major benefit is that it’s next to the main library in town and that was my target. I am now the proud owner of a library ticket and took out my first book, Harlan Ellison’s ‘Angry Candy’. That card will save me a fortune and keep me in books, and their library’s AV collection is very good too.

Next it was up the mall and Kiehls to stock up on toiletries. Their stuff is very expensive, back when I was doing the New York run regularly I’d take out marmalade and chocolate and bring back Kiehls and mustard. But it’s the best there is and was a must buy.

Then it was over to North Beach to revisit some old haunts and back to the hotel. It’s 9pm now and my body is telling me to quit and go to bed but I’ll stay up for a few hours yet to make sure of a good night’s kip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you arrived safe and sound.

Chat soon
-I-