Thursday 5 June 2008

Fond farewells


Just got back from a final dinner with Mum and H; a bit of an emotional event.

Sadly due to the chaotic nature of the leaving date they’re going to be overseas when I go and so tonight was our last night to chew the fat, reminisce about old times and run through some final details.

She’s going to be looking after a few items I can’t bear to leave in storage: a few pieces of art, a box of vital documents and the pig bench – a lovely 17th century butcher’s bench that has more solid wood than most kitchens and is one of the most tactile pieces of furniture I’ve ever seen. She gave it to me a few years ago and I treasure it dearly.

But despite our impending separation there was no overwhelming sadness. We’ll be seeing each other again soon and thanks to Skype the family chat whenever we like. Mum and H are the epitome of Silver Surfers, they’ve taken to the internet like ducks to water and have become accustomed to the intricacies of email and forums, so wherever we are in the world we’ll always be in touch. Now if I can just get my sister safely online my technological cup with runneth over.

So long as I remember to answer my phone :)

No comments: