Wednesday 6 August 2008

Brits abroad


While I’ve had some meetings with Brits over here I’ve kept them pretty minimal since mixing with the locals is the best way to get to know the culture.

However one of the people I know on Yelp got in touch, a Brit who’s been here for a while, and suggested a drink and a natter. Turns out he’s met very few Brits over here and wanted to find out the news from home.

So we met at my local and had a pint of London Pride or four while chewing the fat and playing pool.

Now I thought I had it tough moving over here. He moved over to New York initially and landed in the city on September 9th 2001. Not exactly the most auspicious start to a career move.

After a spell in Texas he moved to San Francisco and likes it. He clued me into the tax system and how it works (or doesn’t), gave some good info on where to pick up a few delicacies from home and some very useful insights into writing for an American audience.

In return I brought him up to speed on Gordon Brown’s long fall from grace, property prices in London and what exactly is wrong with British sport.

All in all a very good night, and we’ll be doing it again, if his wife lets him.

No comments: