Sunday 6 April 2008

Snow Day


Came down to the kitchen on Sunday morning and saw the snow – the best snow we’ve had in London for ages. I went out and checked the consistency, big wet flakes – perfect for snowballs. Sure enough the local kids were having a field day.

Unfortunately for her I had T staying with me at the time. She’s one of my best friends and over from New York but had left on a Friday where temperatures were hitting 17 degrees. Now she’s in the heaviest snowfall London’s had since 1991 and was feeling the chill. An urgent search then followed for thermals and thick socks.

While T went out to be fabulous, something she does very well, I was over to a friend’s to watch the grand prix. Hamilton lost it early on (has he fallen prey to second season syndrome one wonders) but the main entertainment of the day was provided by the London Olympic torch procession. It was car crash television.

Any possible propaganda value to be had from running the torch was lost by having it encircled by heavyset Chinese security guards, then bobbies in florescent jackets and the black garb encircling a flicking flame.

Duncan Goodhue earned himself a place in the ‘clueless of the world’ book by saying the protestors should have stayed away because the Olympics was all about sport and not politics. If that’s the case Duncan why don’t we eschew all the pomp, let the athletes turn up in what they fancy and just compete? The Olympics is all about nationalism, commerce and making a buck – and probably has been since the 1936 games.

3 comments:

monkey said...

im starting to think the same thing, lewis is having bad run but its still early days and the car still needs some work.

CAMRAgirl said...

Totally agree on 'limpics. Only confirmed by seeing my mum's Mail on Sunday yesterday, (yes my mum's, yes I've tried to tell her!) If even the Hate Mail has Tibet on the front page the Chinese must realise the publicity value of having the Games is now swinging in favour of those who want to protest about Tibet, Dafur, Human Rights generally .... I just surfed in via Girl with a One Track Mind btw, I'm with you on Mark Thatcher too. Good luck with the search for a 'local'. Are you sure you aren't my destined other half? Do you drive?

Nefarious P. said...

T'wasn't out being fabulous, was out wasting time and sweating my arse off in a room full of other sweaty underdressed peeps. but appreciate the thought -- you are a grand host, and for that I am most appreciative.