Monday 31 March 2008

Another extension



Another meeting today, supposedly the final one before the big off.

Instead we ended up going over plans for the San Fran office, and now I’ve got to get a business plan together. On one level it’s a real pain, since I’m champing at the bit to get going. On the other it’s a vote of confidence that my publisher is wanting my input on where we’re going, and we’ve come up with some interesting ideas.

The delay also lets me finish some of the books I'm really going to miss before they go into storage. I'm currently half way through the Neville Shute series. He's a mid century British author, best known for 'A Town Like Alice' and 'On the Beach'. His early stuff isn't great but he really came into his own in the Second World War and writes alternately rollicking good adventure tales and surprisingly deep philosophical stuff eg 'Round the Bend'.


While he has a typical old fashioned view of the role of women (saint or slut) and uses language that rightly wouldn't be allowed these days on racial grounds, he's well worth a read. After I've finished his oeuvre it'll be onto the Iain (M) Banks...


No comments: