Tuesday 27 May 2008

Privacy please


Interesting news from the US I’ve just heard about. Customs can now search your laptop on entering the country and you have to hand over passwords. Given I’m taking two across in my hand luggage this could be a problem I’ll have to face.

My work laptop is going to be a problem. Company secrets can’t be handed over in such a cavalier fashion so I’ll have to make sure they are taken off before travelling and stored on a UK server for later download. The move is already acting as a spur to clean up the laptop but the court ruling adds urgency to this.

As for the personal laptop that’s clean, but I still don’t like the idea of someone going through my correspondence. Thankfully a history of hacking has left me with a few tricks up my sleeve that should fox anyone taking a sneaky peep. Most customs officers don’t have a clue about computers so I’m not too worried.

No comments: