Tuesday 13 May 2008

Tax woes


You may have seen in a previous post my appreciation of the Inland Revenue. Well I take it all back.

It turns out I have to pay National Insurance for the first year I work overseas. The logic behind this eludes me. I'm not using services in this country, cost the tax payer nothing and yet I've got to pay taxes in two countries at the same time.

Taxes are the price we pay for a civilised society and I've never tried to evade them; indeed have a contempt for those who do. I've never claimed dole (even when it meant working in a Kentucky Fried Chicken for three months to make ends meet, something which even now means I can't eat the stuff - I know too much), never taken any housing benefits and actively campaigned for higher taxes to pay for public services.

Now those leeches want a piece of my paycheck for nothing. It's almost enough to make me vote Conservative, but not quite.

1 comment:

monkey said...

It will only get worse under Labour. this country is full of those people who want to take advantage of the system and this government lets them.
I would never vote Tory but who else is going to sort the mess that Labour has put this country in.